Business Development and Marketing
Business Development and Marketing Team
Impress is a community interest company that champions news that can be trusted. Our purpose is to ensure news providers can publish with integrity; and the public can engage in an ever-changing media landscape with confidence. We set the highest regulatory standards for news, offer education to help people make informed choices, and provide resolution when disputes arise. Impress regulates a network of 200 digital and print publications across the UK, reaching more than 19 million readers each month. We have exciting plans for continued growth and are seeking to realise a step change in our business development capacity and activities. To help achieve this we are looking for a bold and nurturing leader, a real people-person who thrives in community, advocates for innovation and is happy to get stuck in to get the job done.
This position is offered on flexible terms on either a full or 0.75 FTE employed contract or a fixed term contract. The role is based in London. We currently operate a hybrid working arrangement and the successful candidate has the opportunity to work flexibly on both a short and longer-term basis.
Our Development Director will work with the CEO to help design and execute Impress’ business strategy to drive the development of commercial activities and products in new markets while building relationships with new and existing customers. You will need to have, or quickly acquire, an in-depth knowledge of digital news and content markets and be able to identify, attract, and nurture new customer and partner relationships. You will promote our fundraising objectives, implement the business changes needed to deliver new service lines, and oversee marketing of Impress’ growing suite of services, our communications and public relations activity, and the pipeline of opportunities to ensure revenue targets are met.
As a member of our senior leadership team, you will be passionate about the work we do, lead with empathy and humility, develop, empower, and maximise the team’s potential, and embody the ethics and integrity at the heart of our mission.
Managing a team of highly productive early career specialists, your charge will be to provide direction and unlock motivation, as well as coach and support staff across the business on how best to plan and deliver customer and revenue growth in the UK and internationally.
You may come from the public or private sector, have worked in an organisation or be an experienced business partner or consultant. What is important is that you embody a change agent mentality and have a track record of delivering results.
You will be joining Impress at an exciting time as we seek to implement an ambitious strategy for growth. This is a unique and collaborative role that will spearhead strategy, model operational excellence, improve our services and realise our mission to champion news that can be trusted. The successful candidate will report to the Chief Executive and work closely and collaboratively with the CEO, Board and management team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities Include:
Take responsibility for defining and executing Impress’ new business development strategy and commercial service roadmap.
· Grow overall revenue from Impress membership, dispute resolution and education services.
· Lead, coach & grow a high performing business team to deliver on this strategy and hit our revenue targets.
· Ensure all marketing, fundraising, communications and PR, and lead generation activity fuels strong new business performance, continuously improves, and demonstrates positive ROI.
· Define & execute Impress Route-To-Market strategy for new customers as we expand, including running needs-based discussions with customers and prospects to understand value drivers and inform creation of compelling tailored service propositions, as well as generate and nurture lasting relationships with customers.
· Identify and maximise new opportunities and partnerships, including managing multiple business development engagements to achieve a robust pipeline.
· Own the business development team budget, defining team & resource needs, including any potential outsourced activity / function.
· Oversee CRM management, particularly for reporting on business performance to the CEO and Board.
· Maintain knowledge of competitive products and technologies.
· Work closely with the wider organisation to maximise commercial success.
To implement and positively promote diversity, inclusivity and equal opportunities in service delivery and employment practices.
To take due responsibility and set an example for the health and safety of yourself
and other individuals.
Statement of Flexibility
This job description sets out the duties of the post at the time it was drawn up. Such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence. Staff team working and individual personal development is key to Impress’ success in delivering its business aims and objectives. All staff are therefore expected to have a flexible attitude in responding to new priorities and opportunities as they arise.
Can You Demonstrate:
· An understanding of or willingness to learn about the news media and digital markets.
· Experience defining and executing new growth strategies and of building new business pipelines at executive level.
· Proven track record of performance in a strategic, product development and/or sales role, and meeting and exceeding revenue targets.
· Ability to “close” business.
· A network or network building skills to improve and strengthen Impress’ profile and market presence.
· Experience motivating a team to achieve organisational goals and maximise potential.
· Exceptional communication, negotiation and influencing skills.
· Excellent customer relationship management and an ability to thrive within a reciprocal and non-hierarchical culture.
· High levels of personal integrity.
· A positive, can-do attitude with the ability to adapt to changing circumstances with flexibility, emotional intelligence, good humour and resilience.
· A commitment to Impress’ values and mission.